Acid reflux refers to regurgitation of the stomach content either due to a weak or damaged barrier between the esophagus and the stomach. The contents may sometimes regurgitate up to the throat. Major symptoms associated with acid reflux include heart burn, and the person may even feel hard to swallow. Other symptoms that may accompany acid reflux include chest pain, chronic cough and chest pain. You will feel as if some burning liquid is moving between your throat and stomach. It is essential to treat the disease right at the initial stages to prevent severe damage. It can be treated with simple home remedies in most of the cases. Apart from either using the medications or home remedies, it is essential to avoid certain foods. Following is a list of foods that are to be avoided when you suffer with acid reflux.
• Citrus foods especially citrus fruits such as oranges, lemon, grapefruit juice, tomato and cranberry juice have to be avoided completely.
• Among the vegetables, it is essential to quit consuming raw onions and French fries.
• If you are a non-vegetarian it is essential to avoid food consuming spicy meat chunks, Buffalo wings and ground beef.
• Fresh dairy products may not cause harm. But it is essential to avoid sour cream, milk shakes and ice creams.
• Beverages such as coffee, wine, liquor, caffeine containing coffee and tea. These beverages do not have nutritional value, and it is best to avoid them even if you do not have any symptoms.
• Salad dressings, oil and vinegar also contribute to acid reflux, and thus have to be avoided.
• Fried oily foods such as potato chips, corn chips and doughnuts too result in acid reflux and should be avoided.
Apart from avoiding the above suggested foods, it is essential that you avoid larger meals. The greater the amount of time that the food remains in the stomach, the greater is the chance of developing acid content within the stomach which results in regurgitation of the content back into the throat. Try to remain active for at least up to thirty minutes after consuming food. If you do not have any sleeping disorders then you can even consider having a short nap in the afternoon period.
However, the above provided list may not give perfect results for you. It is essential that you make a note of the foods that you have consumed whenever you have an attack of acid reflux. If any food is found to be involved in every attack, it is essential to avoid that particular food. Maintaining a food diary helps to a great extent to gain control over acid reflux disease.
Another factor that may contribute to acid reflux is stress. Hence, it is essential to lead a stress free life. If you are suffering with acid reflux, then try to lift the head part of your bed at an angle so that your head is raised. This will control the regurgitation to some extent.
It is essential to consult a physician if strict practice of dietary habits and other home remedies do not work.