Urinary tract infection refers to the infection of the urinary system. Urinary system is comprised of the urinary bladder which stores the urine, kidneys which are major organs that filter wastes out of the body and the ureters that transfer urine from kidneys to the bladder and the urethra that is responsible for eliminating urine out of the body.
Urinary tract infections refer to infection of any member of the urinary system. But in major cases, the infection makes it entry by infecting the bladder which stores urine and serves as a medium for bacterial growth. If the infection is untreated it infects other members of the system and even result in complete damage of the kidneys in worst cases.
The major symptom that is characteristic of urinary tract infections is severe pain while urinating, an urge to urinate with unsuccessful results, urine that looks opaque and may even accompany with blood cells. The cloudy nature of urine is due to the presence of a large number of pus cells and bacteria. It is essential to treat urinary tract infections at the early stage. Negligence may result in infection of kidneys which is characterized by symptoms that include fever, vomiting, nausea, back pain and chills.
Though it sounds to be very serious, the best part is that most of the UTI infections respond well for medications. There are a great number of natural remedies to cure UTI infections. Some of them are discussed below.
• Cranberry juice prevents as well as treats urinary tract infections. The acidic content of cranberries makes it hard for the bacteria to survive. Another component termed as proanthocyanins prevents the bacteria from adhering to the walls of the urinary tract. As a result, the bacteria get washed off along with the urine. Make sure that you consume unsweetened juice as the sugar content of the juice dilutes the acidic nature.
• Antiseptic property of Uva ursi is used to cure UTI infections. The active component responsible for the antiseptic property is arbutin. Most of them fear that the tannin content of this herb leads to liver damage. But, the tannins present in uva ursi have not caused any damage. However, the herb should not be taken by pregnant women. Use of this herb is associated with certain side effects such as nausea, green colored urine and indigestion. The herb can be taken either in a capsulated form or along with tea.
• Plantain cures the damage caused by the infection.
• Couch grass helps to reduce the inflammation associated with the infection.
• Drinking plenty of water helps to wash the bacteria along with the urine and even dilutes the urine making it less painful to urinate. It is recommended to drink at least two to three liters of water daily.
• Cantharis helps to reduce the pain experienced during urinating.
• Belladonna is the best cure for a very sensitive bladder.
It is essential to consult a physician immediately if you do not find relief with the natural remedies as negligence leads to kidney damage.