The redness on the cheeks and nose can indicate that you are suffering from a skin condition called Rosacea. Though there is no cure for Rosacea but with proper skin care and cleaning it can definitely be controlled. People with the problem of Rosacea have fragile skin and it can easily get irritated. However, with gentle skin care this irritation can be reduced and calm down the skin. Follow these steps for gentle skin care to help control Rosacea.
• Avoid any scrubbing or rubbing of the skin area that is affected by Rosacea. It can irritate the skin and make it worse. Also, make sure that you don’t use the bath puff or the washcloth roughly on the skin.
• Wash the affected skin with lukewarm water and make use of the gentle fragrance free soap and lather it gently with the fingertips. After cleansing, wash away the soap gently with lukewarm water and pat it dry with a cotton towel.
• Once you pat the skin thoroughly let it dry for 5 to 10 minutes and then apply the medication or the moisturizer. Applying the lotion immediately after drying can leave it burning or cause stinging.
• The medication should be applied before application of the sunscreen, makeup or any other product. After applying the medicine wait for 5 to 10 minutes again before you apply any other product.
• Rather than using a moisturizer, it is better to use a barrier repair product. This product helps repair the skin and there are many studies that have shown that application of this can help reduce Rosacea.
• Using a sunscreen on a daily basis can reduce the direct exposure of Rosacea and hence can prevent the flare. Apply the sunscreen early in the morning, which can protect your skin. However, before choosing a sunscreen, consult your dermatologist so that you don’t end up using a product that irritates your skin. Check for the ingredients of the product. Alcohol and fragrance are bound to irritate the skin. Look for a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 and one that contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Sunscreens that contain silicone can help prevent the irritation and the redness.
• When selecting skin care products, you should be careful. There are many products that can aggravate Rosacea. Avoid the use of toners and exfoliation products. Also, products containing witch hazel, alcohol, peppermint, menthol, alcohol, clove oil, eucalyptus oil and salicylic acid.
• There are a number of products that can be bought over the counter. Beware of these products, as they claim to reduce the redness and occurrence of Rosacea but are usually not found to be effective.
• Cosmetics can result in drying the skin and also irritate the skin that is prone to Rosacea. It is best to avoid heavy foundation and waterproof cosmetics. Also, stay away from cosmetics that need a remover to clean them at the end of the day.
It is best to keep a track of the things that you are using on your skin. Different people respond differently to products, and hence it is important to keep a track of the products that you are using. Gentle skin care is the best way in which you can control Rosacea.