Swimming is a lot of fun plus it is a good exercise to tone down your body. You just have to be extra careful about your skin because swimming in the water for quite a long time may be harmful to the skin. All you have to do is to remember some basic methods to protect your skin so you can still enjoy swimming.
• Remember to take a shower before swimming. This makes your skin ready for the water condition of the pool. Take a shower immediately after your swim to cleanse your skin of chlorine and bacteria from the water. As you dry off, don’t rub the towel on your skin. Just pat gently all over. This would help preserve moisture on the skin.
• Make sure you use protection on your skin. Too much exposure to heat is bad for the skin. It would be wise to use a sunscreen product even if you are in the swimming pool. Look for a sunscreen product that is rich in vitamins A and E for extra skin care protection. Wait for about 10-20 minutes before swimming to allow penetration of sunscreen product in the skin.
• Always remember to moisturize your skin. After your shower, you can apply moisturizer on your skin to prevent dryness. Try to get a moisturizer product that can remove chlorine residue. You can also use some moisturizer products made from natural ingredients rich in nutrients and vitamins.
• Try to look for moisturizer products that are water-proof and sweat-proof. These are good products especially made for swimmers. These are also made from natural extracts that protect the skin and moisturize it at the same time.
• Remember to drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin. Water helps restore natural moisture of the skin. Try to drink water before and after swimming to stay hydrated.
• If you develop some skin rash after your swim, don’t scratch even if it is itchy. Just put some moisturizer over the skin to lessen itchiness. If it becomes persistent, then it would be good to see a doctor for proper medical attention. As for sunburn, you can just apply a good moisturizer product to ease out the redness on the skin.
• Take your vitamins regularly. Those that are good for the skin would help combined with the proper diet. A good diet and vitamin supplements can help protect the inner cells of the skin and help flush out toxins that are bad for the skin.
The key to skin care for swimmers is to be always aware of how water would affect their skin. To know that there is chlorine in the pool is not good for the skin as it dries the skin and may possibly lead to other skin problems. So before swimming, make it a point to provide your skin with all the necessary protection it needs against the ill effects of chlorinated water of the swimming pool.