It is quite natural that anxious feelings crop up from time to time. However, if feelings of anxiety arise without reason and start affecting the daily life, it is termed as generalized anxiety disorder.
Such anxiety disorders may result in feeling tensed, impatience, restlessness, irritability and lack of concentration. Physical health gets affected as it results in jaw pain, dry mouth, insomnia, headaches, chest tightness, lump in the throat, fatigue, suffocation, bloating, perspiration, palpitations, headache, muscle tension, and more.
You may require help from a medical expert to get over this anxiety disorder. However, there are some simple natural remedies which could help you overcome this on your own if it is not too severe.
• Passionflower: This helps in increasing the performance efficiency. It does not cause drowsiness as compared to many other anxiety drugs. Vomiting, nausea, drowsiness and also rapid heartbeats are some of the side effects of this herb. Nursing and pregnant women should strictly consult doctor before taking this medication. It is also not advisable to take this along with other sedatives unless you receive medical supervision.
• Valerian: This herb is recommended for treating insomnia is suitable for mild anxiety patients. It works well if taken an hour before bedtime but it may take 2 – 3 weeks to cause some effect. You should not use it for more than 3 continuous months at a time. It is better to consult a medical professional before taking this herb. Palpitations, mild indigestion, dizziness and headache are some of the side effects. People prefer to take this in a capsule form due to its pungent smell. However, natural liquid or tea extracts are available. It is recommended to avoid taking this capsule with other antihistamines and sedatives. It is not suitable for people who have recently undergone surgery. Individuals with liver disease or alcohol habits should avoid this herb.
• Kava: This is another herb for relieving people from anxiety disorders. However, people are warned about potential liver damage by consuming this herb on a regular basis.
Vegetables and Foods
• Onion and Celery: They can be consumed in raw or cooked form. Folic acid and potassium contained in these fruits help in treating nervousness.
• A cup of orange juice with a teaspoon of honey and a pinch of nutmeg is an instant treatment for a racing heart.
• Body / Mind Techniques: Yoga, shiatsu, massage therapy and other stress relieving regimens decrease muscle tension and improve sleep. Physical exercise, tai-chi, meditation, breathing exercises like diaphragmatic breathing, biofeedback and self-hypnosis are other stress reduction techniques. You can choose some of the above routines which suit your taste and bring down your anxiety levels.
• Aromatherapy: Various essential oils extracted from different plants and flowers can relieve people from anxiety. Some of them include cypress, ylang-ylang, lavender, bergamot, neroli, jasmine, geranium, sandalwood, rose and Melissa.
• Orange Fragrance: Peel the orange and place it in a small pan. Pour water on it and cover it. Place it on heat and bring it to boil. The fragrance which it releases is quite calming.