There is a need today for an effective waste management since inaccurate waste disposal is a huge threat to the health of people and also to the environment. A lot of experts have been proven over the years that inappropriate waste disposal has a lot of detrimental effect to the lives of the people all over the world. These effects can cause diseases to spread because of rodents, insects, and other pests that can cause gastrointestinal problems.
These gastrointestinal problems are also caused by poor disposal of garbage that leads to the multiplication of mosquitoes and cockroaches. These pests can spread a lot of bacteria that can cause illness to people. Improper waste disposal can contaminate the resources around the world. It can greatly contaminate water, soil, and the air. If this thing happens, it can lead to traumatic natural disaster.
People have to know the real definition of waste. Waste is anything that is unusable and unwanted. Around the world there are billions of waste materials that are continuously being produced by man. That is why there is a great need for human to understand the types and how they can manage this waste properly:
• Municipal solid waste – This kind of waste is also called as “urban solid waste” though people are more conscious about this kind of waste every day, this is a fraction of small things that is called rubbish. This rubbish is the biodegradable kitchen waste such as left over foods. Also, other recyclable materials may also be classified as municipal solid waste like papers, cans, bottles, glass, metals and other types of plastic that is reusable.
• Demolition or construction waste – These are those unwanted materials that come from constructing buildings, houses, and other infrastructures. These are classified as wood, damage bricks, electrical wirings, concrete and other debris produced at the construction site. These waste materials from these construction sites may contain hazardous chemicals such as asbestos, lead, and other detrimental waste chemicals.
• Commercial waste – This type of waste is produce because of the industrialization around the world. All of these wastes are gathered from premises used for the purpose of trade businesses, sports, entertainment, education and recreation.
• Clinical or medical waste – Comes from the products produced in healthcare facilities, such as hospitals, clinics, and laboratories. There is much concern about the waste disposal of this type of waste materials as they may cause infectious diseases to spread. Examples of this dreaded medical waste products are blood from patients who have undergone operations, sharp pointed materials (scalpels, needles, lancets), and other human body parts that have been amputated because of medical reasons. All of these wastes can contribute to the spread of other diseases if not disposed properly. That is why hospitals are required to have their own disposing unit in order to manage their own waste.
• Biodegradable waste – This kind of waste is not harmful to the environment. Wastes that are collected from plants and animals can be easily broken down into useful fertilizers for crops.
Recycling is one of the major solutions to eliminate the production of too much waste around the world.