A clogged ear is very painful and irritating and needs to be relieved immediately. We commonly see children reporting of ear pain. 90 percent of the cases of ear pain are due to clogged ear. Ear can be clogged either due to the presence of ear wax or fluids in the ear. If proper care is not taken while giving bath to the children it will clog their ears. Before you attempt to cure the clogged ear, know the cause of the clogging. In some cases it could be due to viral infection. In such cases it is essential to visit a doctor. If the clogging is due to ear wax or fluids you can try any of the below given home remedies carefully.
• If ear wax is clogging your ears, apply a drop of hydrogen peroxide into the ears. You can see all the ear wax coming out of ear as bubbles.
• If hydrogen peroxide is unavailable, you can try any other ear wax softener or you can boil few drops of olive oil to body temperature and apply to your ears. It will soften the ear wax which can be easily cleaned out with ear buds.
• You can have the feeling of clogged ears due to changes in surrounding pressures as in landing or take off of the flights. In such cases you can relieve that excess pressure on your ears by frequently yawning as much as possible or by chewing gums.
• If the clogging of ears is due to sinus problems, never blow your nose very hard. Remember to keep your mouth open while blowing your nose.
• Hot water shower for about ten to fifteen minutes also helps to relieve clogged ears. Steam helps to loosen the clogged up ear wax.
• Repeated swallowing is another simple remedy to put the pressure off your ears.
• Few drops of glycerin give quick relief.
• To remove the loosen wax never use sharp objects like safety pins, pens or pencils. They may cause damage to the ear drum.
• Anti histamines can be used to obtain relief in cases of severe clogging.
• Another simple solution to unclog your ears but requires a bit of efficiency is to close the nostrils with fingers and inhale with your mouth. Now force the air out of the nose. This will immediately relieve your clogged ears but will cause mild pain. This has to be repeated several times. This serves as a good solution while traveling in plane to get rid of that excess pressure on your ears.
• Application of few drops of pure grain alcohol once in the morning and evening regularly will give promising results in relieving clogged ear.
• To give relief to the kids from pain due to clogged ear, place the head at about a height of six inches. This helps to drain the ear properly and also reduces the pressure on the ears.
Never neglect the clogged ears. Negligence may lead to ear infections that may cause impaired hearing in worst cases. Visit your doctor if you are not confident of relieving ear congestion, especially for babies it is recommended to visit a pediatrician.
Last Updated on