Yeast comes under the category of fungus organisms and thrives on sugar. The organism produces gases and toxins like acetaldehyde, alcohol, arabinitol, gliotoxin and zymosan. Any form of overgrowth of the yeast can be harmful to the body. The most common form of yeast, which is found in our digestive tract, is Candida.
Yeast is good for the health, but on the other hand it can also be harmful and can cause a problem for you. To maintain a normal digestive system, our body requires yeast in small quantities. But, when this quantity becomes more than what is required, then it results in a series of health problems and people tend to develop intolerance towards yeast. Any condition that results in overproduction of Candida can result in yeast intolerance.
The main factors that result in overproduction of the yeast resulting in yeast intolerance include:
• Having a lot of antibiotic courses which result in killing the body friendly bacteria that are responsible for controlling the production of the yeast.
• Ingestion of oral contraceptives that has synthetic progesterone.
• If you suffer from indigestion because of some other food intolerance problems, then this allows the overproduction of yeast because of the fermentation of the undigested food in the digestive tract.
Some of the general symptoms of yeast intolerance include:
• Production of gas or flatulence after eating any sugar based food
• Feeling tired after eating food
• Bloating of the stomach
• Occurrence of ulcers in the mouth
• Occurrence of bad breath
• Disorders of the skin like psoriasis or eczema
• Congestion of the nasal tract
• Tongue coating
• Frequent mood swings
• Craving for sweets and sugar
• Having a feeling of irritation and light-headedness when hungry, hypoglycemia
• Heartburn or acidity
To know whether you are suffering from yeast intolerance it is important that you have yourself tested. There are a number of medical tests like organic acid tests that can help determine whether you are suffering from yeast intolerance. If you want to try out a home test, then take a glass of clear water and spit into it. Soon you will see the growth of white fluffy yeast or turbidity in the clear water. If you observe any of these, then it is important that you get yourself tested medically. Relying on the home test is not recommended, it is better that you have a medical test done.
If you are suffering from yeast intolerance, then the best way in which you can avoid is to follow a diet that is free of yeast. Remove milk products like cheese and yogurt; avoid processed food, sugary food and sweetened sugary drinks; avoid confectionery products that have yeast and breads, reduce the intake of caffeine and alcohol, and also avoid fruits that have fructose. Before you start any yeast free diet, it is better that you consult your physician, so that you can have an opinion of what foods to avoid and which ones to include.
Last Updated on