The worst nightmare of having cold is having a sore throat that makes it hard to swallow and in some cases the person may have a hard time to talk. It is generally caused due to inflammation of the throat as a result of infection that generally accompanies cold. Inflammation of throat could also be due to other reasons such as measles and diphtheria that are to be taken care of immediately.
Sore throat is generally characterized by pain in the throat, fever, chills, swollen lymph nodes and pain while swallowing. If sore throat is due to a viral infection that causes cold, then it can be treated very easily with simple natural remedies. The following are some simple natural remedies to cure sore throat:
• Take a glass of lukewarm water and mix two to three drops of lemon juice and a drop of honey. Mix it well and drink it to obtain immediate relief from pain.
• Another remedy for sore throat with lemon is to take small to medium sized lemon and cut it into two halves. Now, sprinkle salt and pepper over it. Press it gently so as to allow the pepper to penetrate inside. Slowly lick the lemon until all the juice is squeezed.
• Mix ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of boiling water and slowly have the liquid to obtain relief from sore throat.
• Having chamomile tea twice or thrice a day is found to give relief from sore throat.
• Mix some salt in lukewarm water and gargle the liquid several times a day to obtain faster relief.
• Gargling aloe vera liquid is also proved to give good results for sore throat.
• Raw garlic and ginger also give relief from sore throat. Ginger even helps to reduce fever that generally accompanies sore throat.
• Marshmallow root tea and honey suckle tea are also found to give relief from sore throat.
• Basil leaves also help to cure sore throat. Add few basil leaves to a glass of water and bring the water to boil. After the liquid becomes lukewarm, you can now use it to gargle and to obtain relief from sore throat.
• Hot water bath by adding Epsom salt gives relief.
• Cinnamon is a proven treatment for sore throat. You can either have it directly or powder it and sprinkle a pinch of it in warm milk before drinking to obtain quick relief from sore throat.
• Honey soaked with onion gives relief from sore throat. Cut few pieces of onion and add honey on it and let it stay for few hours in a closed cup. Have a spoon of honey once every two to three hours to obtain relief.
• Licorice and slippery elm which are common herbs used in herbal teas give relief from sore throat.
If the above treatments do not work then it is recommended to consult a doctor immediately. It is also recommended to consult a doctor if toddlers or your children complain of sore throat as it could be due to diphtheria or measles which are life threatening diseases.