Diarrhea is a very unpleasant condition not only to people but also to animals. The most active cat can feel weal and very sick when they suffer from diarrhea. This condition can leave your pet very miserable and weak. Many pet owners may also feel very miserable because they don’t know what to do in this kind of situation.
Although diarrhea is not a good experience it also serves as a defense mechanism of the body. It is the body’s way to release all unnecessary things inside the body. Diarrhea flushes the toxins and unwanted things inside the stomach. It also cleanses the stomach. There are a lot of causes to consider when having a diarrhea, one common causes of diarrhea is viral infection and a quick change in the diet. There are many ways to help your cat in times of diarrhea.
• Fasting can help in improving diarrhea of your cat. Fasting can be at least 24 hours on the onset of diarrhea. If you will feed your cat it will only continue to go outside. Give your cat’s digestive tract to rest for awhile. Observe within 24 hours if your cat’s condition will get better or worse.
• Keep your cat well hydrated while suffering from diarrhea. If your cat is suffering from diarrhea it is important that they will not be dehydrated. Always make sure that he has a fresh bowl of clean water. It will replenish the lost water inside the body.
• You can also give your cat a little amount of pedialyte or a bottle of Gatorade. It will replenish the lost nutrients and electrolytes inside the body. Although diarrhea can help cleanses the body it can also deplete the body’s supply of essential nutrients. These drinks can help your cat attain the entire nutrient requirement they need.
• Subject your cat in a bland diet within 24 hours. Just give your pet a small frequent feeding. Foods like mashed potato, boiled chicken or just plain white rice can help. You can do this kind of diet for at least 3 to 4 days. Wait for your pet’s diarrhea to subside.
• After the diarrhea has been subsided, add small amount of their regular food into the bland diet. Gradually get back their regular diet while decreasing their bland diet from day by day.
• Avoid giving foods like dairy products. Although many cats like drinking milk it can have bad effects on them. Cats do not have the enzyme that can the digest the sugar found in milk. Their digestive system does not tolerate the increase of dairy products. This kind of digestive problem largely results in diarrhea. Do a little favor in your cat by not giving so much milk.
• Avoid changing the brand of food. Stick to one brand of cat food to eliminate the occurrence of diarrhea. Sudden change of food may result to digestive stress.
Last Updated on