How to Deal With Mercury Poisoning?

Mercury is the worst of five heavy metals, and if it enters the body along with lead, it may become a hundred times deadlier.

It is a naturally occurring element and can easily come down with rain which contributes to ground water contamination. Mercury is often found near coastal sea and is distributed inside the food chain, after being accumulated in the sea vegetation and fishes. Also, mercury is commonly used as dental fillings. (Even if your dentist say it is “silver” fillings; they actually contain 50 percent mercury). At room temperature, elemental mercury is liquid and children love to play with it, for example by breaking a cheap mercury thermometer. Mercury vaporizes at a relatively low temperature and the vapors are poisonous and can be harmful to small kids. When you have mercury fillings (amalgams), they release vapors every time you brush your teeth and chew.

Ethyl mercury or thimerosol is sometimes found inside vaccines and more neurotoxic than most forms of mercury-based substances. After it is injected into your body, it is very difficult to remove. This mercury is suspected to cause autism in kids. Mercury is often dumped into the environment accidentally. For example, mercury vapors are emitted from cremation chambers because mercury fillings aren’t removed before the body is cremated. Mercury is also detected from the smoke coal-burning power plants, and gold processing facility. As the result, mercury can accumulate in the food chain, larger fishes like tuna, salmon, swordfish, and shark can easily accumulate mercury in their tissues. The older and the bigger the fish, the more likely it has mercury contamination. There have been a few documented cases were people can be poisoned with mercury after eating a moderate amount of fish.

Scientists have defined a range of acceptable mercury level in human body. But there’s a problem: people have varying degree of tolerance toward mercury, some begin to show symptoms at the upper limit of the range but many show symptoms at much lower level than that.

Mercury is a strong antimicrobial agent, when it goes into our intestines, some of it won’t come out with the stool. Some accumulate in the intestines and go into the bloodstream, where it stays in the kidneys and liver. The mercury accumulated inside your intestines exterminates good bacteria, which boosts yeast overgrowth. Also, studies show that mercury inside the intestinal tracts of primates and humans causes pathogenic (bad) bacteria to become increasingly resistant to antibiotic therapies. This could be the reason of the emergence of “super bugs,” the so-called stealthy and powerful pathogens that no medical antibiotics can exterminate.

What else can this liquid metal do to our body? According to neurologists and toxicologists, ethyl mercury is a potent neurological toxin that damages brain and causes multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.

How Reduce Mercury Exposure?

The more people understand about the threat of mercury, the more they ask for the authority to take necessary actions. But limiting mercury concentration in your own home and surroundings is something we can immediately do today. These are some appropriate steps you should take today:

• Visit www.mercurypolicy.org to learn more about mercury and its dangerous effects.

• Visit www.epa.gov/ost/fish if you eat fish regularly. The safest fishes are usually smaller deepwater species. Larger fish, like tuna and halibut, may have eaten a good deal of smaller fish and accumulated too much mercury.

• When taking vaccine, make sure it is not preserved with thimerosol.

• If there are already mercury fillings in your teeth, visit a dentist to determine whether you can take mercury breath test to find out if you’re releasing mercury vapors each time you chew. If you believe that you are at higher risk of mercury poisoning, it is a good idea to take laboratory tests, to determine the current mercury level in your body.

• Don’t break fluorescent light tubes as they contain dangerous levels of mercury that can escape as vapors, poisoning everyone nearby. Dispose of them safely. The same goes for thermometers with mercury filling, when you accidentally break them, don’t let your children see the shiny silver liquid. It is a bad idea to vacuum it up, as it may cause quick vaporization and badly contaminate your house. If you have mercury thermometers in your home, replace them with digital models, and safely dispose of those that contain mercury.

• Replace thermostats on your air conditioning/heating unit. Older models may have mercury switches. If they break, you may risk a contamination.

What to Do When You Have Mercury Poisoning?

Even without amalgams on your teeth, chances are that you are already exposed through vaccinations, polluted air and contaminated fishes. If lab test indicates that you have mercury poisoning, is it possible to reverse it?

• Use safe products that can help in removing of mercury from our body and support its natural biochemical processes. One of them is Redoxal NF, which contains methionine, an essential sulfur-based amino acid.

• Eat plenty of sulfur-rich foods, such as onions and garlic, which help our body in eliminating heavy metals such as arsenic, lead, and cyanide. Other sulfur-rich foods, such as cauliflower, eggs, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage are able to remove some heavy metals out of our body. Fiber can also be helpful, as it can attract metals in the gastrointestinal tract. (However, if you are a woman undergoing oral hormones therapy, don’t take too much fiber as it can prevent hormones absorption.)

And remember, it is always a good idea to take some precautions. Taking enough trace minerals, amino acids, and sulfurs can defend against excessive toxin accumulation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended Articles