Citric acid can be found in many different sources in nature, and is often used as a good additive. This means that it’s relatively easy to find in the diet, and it’s a good idea to ensure that we do seeing as it has many beneficial effects. These include:
• Helping to kill off bacteria as well as mildew and viruses.
• Helping the brain by providing energy and keeping us alert. In one study it was found that people who consumed citric acid over the course of 8 days felt less fatigued than those on a placebo and particularly during strenuous exercise or work.
• Citrus acid can also help to increase metabolism. This means that the body processes food faster, and thus burns it for more energy while storing less of it as fat. This is because citric acid is able to target and convert carbohydrates into carbon dioxide and water.
• Citric acid can also be used to help combat and prevent kidney stones. The reason for this is that they are able to break down some of the chemicals in the urinary tract as well as the stones themselves to prevent them from forming. This also helps to cleanse the urinary tract and thus prevent infection.
As mentioned there are a good variety of sources of citric acid and these are largely fruits and juices. These include:
- Orange juice
- It can also be found in a variety of other foods such as seafood where it is used to limit spoilage and as a flavor enhancer in many other foods
- Many soft drinks
- Vitamin and pain relief products