The word ‘gallstones’ would signify that it has something to do with your gallbladder. You can find two types of stones in your gallbladder. One is cholesterol stone and the other is the pigment stone. Eighty percent of the times cholesterol stones are found in your body. These stones are of different sizes sometimes as small as a grain to as big as a golf ball. Even though it affects people all over the world, women are more prone to such problems. Gallbladder contains bile which is made in the liver and later stored in the gallbladder. It helps in digesting the fat present in the body. It contains water, cholesterol, fats, bile salts, proteins and bilirium. Stones are formed when bile contains excess cholesterol, bile salts or bilirium.
Causes of Gallstones
- Being from the female species makes you more prone to gallstones. As women go through multiple pregnancies, obesity crisis and speedy weight loss problems, making them a soft target for this problem.
- Excess cholesterol in your body leads to such problems which can be due to the junk food and other unwanted material in your body.
- Being obese is the other reason for formation of gallstones, especially women.
- Excess estrogen in your system also causes problem which is mainly caused due to hormone imbalance during pregnancy, birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy.
- Being over 60 years is another reason.
- Fasting causes bile to become over concentrated with cholesterol leading to formation of gallstones.
- Constant pain in the upper abdomen which can last for a short while and sometime longer.
- You may even suffer from pain in the back between the shoulder blades.
- May also go through indigestion problems which can show signs of gas and abdominal pain.
- Feelings of nausea and vomiting bouts.
- Skin color may turn yellow and even the whites of your eyes.
- You may find the stools to be clay-colored accompanied with dark colored urine.
- Drinking coffee regularly prevents gallstones.
- Avoid junk food completely.
- Eat nuts which contain unsaturated fats.
- Retain a healthy diet for a better and healthy future.
- Cut down of carbohydrates.
- Keep yourself fit by exercising.
- Consume calcium phosphates.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day.
- Vegetables are good too to avoid such problems.
Home Remedies for Gallstones
- This is a three day process wherein you drink apple juice for two days. On the second night drink a mixture of 3 ounces of fresh squeezed lemon and three ounces of dark olive oil. Drink this concoction every 15 – 20 minutes till its over. Third day would be the D-day when you would be able to pass the stones.
- Having apple and citrus food are very helpful as it contains pectin which fight this problem.
- You can use a herb called Quebra Pedra in the form of a tea to get relief from gallstones. Take two teaspoons of this herb in 500ml of water. Complete this concoction within a day and should be continued for a month or two.
Warning: The reader of this article should exercise all precautionary measures while following instructions on the home remedies from this article. Avoid using any of these products if you are allergic to it. The responsibility lies with the reader and not with the site or the writer.