Hidden Dangers From Poison Oak, Ivy & Sumac Plants

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, each year 10 to 50 million Americans develop an allergic rash after contact with Poison Oak, Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac Plants. The invisible oily resin called urushiol causes the ill effects of these poisonous plants.

Poison ivy, oak, or sumac is found in every state except Alaska and Hawaii. These plants are important to the eco-systems where they thrive. The small, white or bluish berries found on the ivies feed a number of birds and small animals. The irritants found in urushiol oil do not effect most animals and the tangles from the plants serve as shelter.

This oily resin can stay on pets, shoes, hiking boots, clothes, toys, garden tools, lawn mowers and anything else that has made contact. In fact, the oil stays active on any surface, including dead plants, for up to 5 years.

Symptoms

After making contact, the reaction (called dermatitis) may include a rash followed by bumps and blisters that itch. Scratching does not spread the outbreak but may cause infection because it allows bacteria from dirt on the hands to enter the skin. Symptoms can last ten days to several weeks to heal.

Mild Symptoms

Severe redness
Signs of infection, such as pus
Rash in mouth, eyes, or genital area
Rash on a large portion of your body or face
Mild symptoms can be treated with simple and natural home remedies. See below.

Severe Symptoms

Swelling of the throat, tongue, or lips
Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Weakness or dizziness
Bluish lips and/or mouth
Unconsciousness
Severe Symptoms need immediate emergency medical care.

Caution

NEVER burn poison ivy. Burning these poisonous plants puts the urushiol resin in the air and can get in your lungs and possibly your neighbor’s lungs. If you get poison ivy in your lungs, you will need to go to the hospital.

Pet Alert

The only threat to resin on our pets is if it is rubbed off onto other things or people. If your pet merely has the bumps and is itching, you can not catch it from them.

Treatment

Because urushiol is a oily resin and not a water based fluid, it will not evaporate and it can linger for several years.

Use mild soap and cold or cool water to wash off the resin. Do not use hot water because it opens your skin pores and thus absorb more of the oil.

You may want to apply rubbing alcohol to the affected area(s) with cotton balls, and then rinse again with cold water. You can apply calamine lotion, a zinc oxide ointment, or baking soda paste (3-tsp. soda to 1-tsp. water) to the affected area(s), or soak in an oatmeal bath, to relieve the symptoms somewhat.

Generally, the best treatment is time — the rash and itching should go away on its own in one to two weeks. Try to keep your hands away from your eyes, mouth, and face, and scratch as little as possible, as this will irritate the rash further and may introduce infection.

This article is for general information only and not intended for or to replace any medical advice. Always check with your doctor for treatment of any health condition.

1 Comment

  1. Thanks for the info. Very good.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Wayne McDonald, RScP.

Greetings. My name is Wayne McDonald. I’m a Reiki Practitioner. I am attuned to the Usui Reiki Natural Healing System. I studied with Eleonore Koury Reiki Master Teacher.

I am also a Licensed Practitioner with Centers for Spiritual Living – Awakening Humanity to Its Spiritual Magnificence. I do affirmative prayers with clients which is to look beyond outer appearances and to know the highest truth for my clients. That truth is, “I am Whole, Perfect and Complete”.

Follow Wayne on LinkedIn: waynepower4, twitter: @waynepower4

Recommended Articles