CategoryStress

An Introduction to the Different Types of Stress

A

The term stress tends to be used broadly to refer to all kinds of unpleasant feelings. Generally though we agree that when we say the word ‘stress’ we are talking about that feeling of anxiety and panic that prevents us from concentrating or relaxing and which causes us to gradually become miserable. This is actually just one type of stress though, called ‘chronic stress’...

Stress Hormones and Weight Gain – Why Changing Your Life Is the Only Way to Get Healthy

S

Want to lose weight? Get into better shape? Feel energetic and healthy and full of vitality? The solution is not another diet or training program. Rather it is to combat your stress levels and your energy levels. Pretty much everything that isn’t right in your life can be boiled down to these two things and once you start to combat them both, you’ll find that life starts improving...

What to Do When Your Job Is Seriously Stressing You Out

W

We might make jokes about water cooler gossip, but workplace stress is no laughing matter. In fact, office angst costs approximately $300 billion dollars a year in lost productivity, according to “Business News Daily.” That’s a huge price tag for a problem that, while we can never eliminate, we can take steps to effectively manage. You can reduce the work related stress in your life...

Try This to Change Your Attitudes and Change Your Life

T

So how can attitudes be changed if we inherit them in childhood and they take root in our subconscious mind? They are not easily shifted when they take root because they become habitual attitudes. But it is possible to replace them. One way to do this is to use the power of imagery to displace those negative thoughts that we have lived out of for many years. Imagery Is a Powerful Tool Doctors are...

The Link Between Diverticulitis and Stress

T

Diverticulosis is a disease affecting the digestive system which causes the formation of pouches (called diverticula) in the bowel wall. This condition tends to affect the large intestine and/or colon but also occurs less commonly in the small intestine. Diverticulitis meanwhile is slightly different and describes what happens when the diverticula get inflamed. This can then cause considerable...

Caregiver Stress – What it Is and How to Get it Under Control

C

Caregiver stress is the name for a type of stress that affects caregivers specifically. It is characterized by a state of exhaustion, rage and/or guilt that can result from looking after someone who is chronically ill or otherwise dependent. If you look after an elderly or disabled relative or friend on a regular basis and you are feeling burned out and depressed, then you might very well be...

Ten Things You Can Do to Reduce Commuter Stress

T

Not everyone who drives on the road is an idiot, or a hoon as we sometimes label them in Australia. Probably 98% of your fellow motorists are decent law-abiding people like yourself. Commuter stress arises because the remaining 2% move around a lot!! If you commute for two hours a day then you will probably spend three years of your life in a motor vehicle. It therefore makes sense to make the...

Knowing When It’s Time to Visit a Physician

K

Most people experience stress in some form on a daily basis, whether in the form of finances, social stressors, work demands or other daily challenges. In fact, 80 percent of workers experience stress through their jobs, and about 50 percent feel they need help managing their stress, according to the American Institute of Stress. In extreme cases, stress can interfere with a person’s daily...

Understanding and Controlling Social Stress

U

Social stress is a type of stress that results from interactions and relationships with others. Sometimes you feel like it’s ‘not you’ but ‘everyone else’ and that is pretty much the definition of social stress. There are many different reasons that social stress is an issue and it can take a number of different forms. Seeing as most of us have no choice but to spend...

Your Stress Symptoms Checklist

Y

One of the biggest ironies of stress is that we don’t always realize that we’re experiencing it. Sometimes life gets so on top of you and you feel so constantly overworked and overstretched that you don’t even have time to stop and to assess your own mental state. At this point you can find that stress ends up building up to a large degree and you don’t even realize...

Keith Hillman

Keith Hillman

Keith Hillman is a full time writer specializing in psychology as well as the broader health niche. He has a BSc degree in psychology from Surrey University, where he particularly focused on neuroscience and biological psychology. Since then, he has written countless articles on a range of topics within psychology for numerous of magazines and websites. He continues to be an avid reader of the latest studies and books on the subject, as well as self-development literature.