Improvement in the technology has resulted in designing electronic machines for each and every work. This is making many of us as couch potatoes. Many of us spend many hours watching television and always keep munching all the time. Increased eating along with sedentary lifestyle increases the risk of many health problems.
Sedentary lifestyle is not only a problem in adults even kids become victim of this problem. It results in development of metabolic disorders such as improper secretion of hormones such as insulin, cholesterol metabolism and many other diseases. Some of the disadvantages of leading a sedentary lifestyle are listed below.
• Major disadvantage of leading a sedentary lifestyle is obesity. Due to lowered activity the number of calories burnt are far less than those consumed leading to obesity. Increased fat deposition in the body increases the risk of suffering with diseases such as heart attack, diabetes and more.
• Research work has shown that people who lead a sedentary lifestyle become aged very fast. This is due to the damage of the telomeres, present at the end of the chromosomes. Telomeres play role in preventing the aging process.
• Sedentary lifestyle promotes formation of blocks within arteries resulting in circulatory problems that lead to heart related problems such as atherosclerosis.
• Decreased activity increases the risk of developing certain types of cancers such as breast cancer, colon cancer, and other types of malignant tumors.
• Reduced activity also reduces muscle strength, joint structure and functioning, thus predisposing the person to diseases such as arthritis and osteoporosis where bones become brittle and fragile.
• Leading a sedentary lifestyle reduces the brain activity making the person less reactive which in turn hinders the individuals work progress. Lack of sufficient work progress makes the person depressed.
• Individuals who lead a sedentary lifestyle from childhood develop high blood pressure at a very early age.
• Individuals who lead a sedentary lifestyle do not love to socialize much and remain at home all the time glued to the couch. They will not be ready to take up any challenges in life.
As there are many disadvantages of leading a sedentary lifestyle, it is recommended to take appropriate measures to lead an active lifestyle.
It is very easy to overcome sedentary lifestyle with strict commitment and determination. Make it a habit to practice exercises early in the morning at least for a period of thirty minutes. If you are not into practicing exercises early, start with simpler exercises such as walking and cycling. It is very easily to involve kids in physical activities such as swimming. It does not only entertain the kids but also serves as a whole body workout. Another interesting idea is to plan outdoor games. This not only serves as an exercise for kids but also to adults.
Nowadays, kids spend a great number of hours watching television or playing video games. To bring them out of this trap of sedentary lifestyle, involve them in activities with other kids. Start teaching them certain games such as tennis, baseball and the like.
Last Updated on