Peppermint contains a great number of health benefits. Due to its enormous benefits, it is widely used by many to treat a number of ailments. The medicinal value of peppermint is due to the presence of menthol, menthone and menthyl esters. Peppermint is also found to contain a great number of minerals and vitamins such as magnesium, calcium, folate, potassium, copper, vitamin A and vitamin C that are essential for maintaining perfect health. A great number of products are manufactured using this wonder herb. Products that are make using peppermint include soaps, shampoo, cigarette, toothpaste, chewing gum, tea and ice cream.
As the benefits of peppermint are proved scientifically, it is available even as a prescription drug. Following is a list of health benefits of peppermint.
• Peppermint helps to improve digestion and helps to overcome the problem of excessive stomach gas. Having a drop of peppermint oil dissolved in a glass of water helps to get rid of the gas. It is also found to increase appetite.
• The antiseptic properties of peppermint are used to get rid of toothaches that are caused due to accumulation of germs. Hence, it is found in a great number of commercial toothpastes. It is even used as a medicine to treat toothaches.
• Peppermint is the major component found in menthol. This is the reason why menthol is used in clearing respiratory problems. It is also used in cold rubs. Application of these cold rubs help to relieve congestion in airways and helps to give relief from cold, cough, sinusitis and asthma.
• Peppermint oil helps to relieve symptoms such as nausea and headache. Application of diluted peppermint oil over the forehead gives relieves from headache.
• The refreshing feel of peppermint oil helps to overcome stress and depression. Hence, it is used to overcome certain anxiety disorders.
• Individuals with irritable bowel syndrome can obtain relief very easily with the use of peppermint oil.
• It is also used in treating urinary tract infections.
• It serves as calcium antagonist and serves to reduce pain.
• Cooling effect of peppermint is used to treat high fevers.
• Peppermint also serves to energize the immune system and helps to prevent a great number of diseases.
• It is also found to improve blood circulation and thus, helps to provide sufficient nutrition to all cells of the body.
• The cooling effect of peppermint helps to reduce dandruff and the problem of lice. Thus, it can be used to enjoy a healthy hair.
• Peppermint oil serves to nourish the skin cells making the skin look healthy and glowing.
• It is found to have great benefits when along with other essential oils such as eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon.
Due to a great number of health benefits, it is a good idea to consume peppermint tea. Fresh peppermint tea can be made by boiling peppermint leaves in water and to prevent the evaporation of essential oils, it is essential to cover the vessel with a lid. You can even have fresh peppermint leaves as such to have refreshing breath.
Last Updated on